Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Still Dreaming




Christmas, 2006 - in a small town in Virginia (small town, who are you kidding?!) I had a dream. A dream of what my kitchen could look like. I planned it all out. Paint colors, counter tops, back splash, appliances. You name it, I knew exactly what I wanted to do.

Fast forward 14 months and we are almost there!! I had no idea that when we got back home after that Christmas that I was going to find the deal of the century on the range of my dreams. Steve happened to be in another country, but that did not stop me. It had to sit in the middle of the den for a month, until we could get the gas line run for it to be installed, but boy was it worth the wait! Five burners, double convection ovens, 50,000 BTU's hehehe - I feel like Tim the Tool man Taylor in a dress!!

A few months later, while out looking for a new hood for the new range, we ran across another deal. A french door fridge with the freezer on the bottom - again, the unit of my dreams that I thought we could never have - but if you don't mind a few dings in out of the way places, the price will come way down!

Then it was the grody old sink - all the enamel was worn off on the left side and it was impossible to keep clean. Now it has been replaced with a shiny new stainless version (with a faucet that actually turns off when you turn it off!!) that makes my heart happy whenever I see it!

Then we got a recall notice on our dishwasher. Seems that if we did not do something quick, our house could burn down around us! So, we took their offer and ended up with a new dishwasher too!

And yet, there still remained what seemed to be miles of dark brown- plastic-that-is-supposed- to-look-like-wood counter tops. And that seemed like such a huge project because we could not do it ourselves. So, I started selling stuff on Craig's list, saving my pennies so that I could get something else on the counters.

Saturday, I was having a friend over to play, and Steve said "you need to talk to her about the kitchen". So I did, and she graciously agreed to talk and more. So today, the installers came to begin installing my new granite tile counters and glass tile back splash!! Oh my goodness!! My head was spinning!! Thanks to my dear friend who is "in the biz", we have moved one huge step closer to the dream I had over a year ago!!

So now, all that needs to be done, once the installers are finished, is to paint the cabinets, install new handles and change out the lighting. Small pieces in what seemed to be an insurmountable project! Thank you so much E, for what you have done to help my dream kitchen become a reality!!

Picture notes: first one - kitchen before we moved in; second - kitchen as it was before appliances were changed; third - today! Stay tuned...

Trina

3 comments:

mareseatoats said...

Can wait to see the new tops! Keep on taking pictures. So cool so see it come together.
Mare

mareseatoats said...

You're right! You can click on the picture to see it enlarged. That is so cool. I tried it on mine but it doesn't work. I resize mine so that the upload speed is faster. I'll have to remember that.
By the way, I love the counter top and glass tile colors. They are going to look great. For what it is worth, Jeff says he likes your old cabinets.
Mare

trinabambina said...

Well if he likes the olds ones, he is going to love them when they get their new "skin" on!

More pics coming soon! Hopefully, they are going to start laying tile today.
t