Sunday, October 12, 2008

yawn... :-0

Did you know it is possible to sit for eight hours in one spot and have a finished baby blanket to show for it? Well, it is! Only problem is that the eight hours went from 7:30 pm to 3:30 am and as you mothers know, the kids still get up at the same time, no matter what time you go to bed! Thankfully, I have an amazing husband, who got up and got the morning started while I got my shower, but I must say I am feeling that late night right now - I can't even type I am so sleepy!

Anyway, a story about the children: A certain sweet child (whom I love and who, coincidentally, is 'betrothed' to my daughter) told my Jalapeño that "Monsters live in his closet at night". Since then, it has been a real struggle to get said Jalapeño into bed at night without locking the closet (to keep the monster inside, you know?). A side question, what is the logic that a little flip lock will keep a monster in the closet? But I digress...

The closet in the boys room is a walk in, and until a year ago, it stored all of my craft supplies - hence the flip lock on the outside of the door to keep the little ones out. When I set up my studio, all of that stuff got moved downstairs and I put a shelf and toys in the closet for the boys. They love to go in the closet, turn off the light and play in there - with the door closed! I am guessing by now that little boys do not employ much logic in their day to day lives, because, I mean, what about that monster that kept us all up for two hours last night?!? Where does he go during the day?!

Anyway, on the weekends, to garner a little Mommy and Daddy talk time, we often let Sweet Potato go in the boy's room when they are all awake, to play before breakfast. We can usually stretch it out for at least an hour, except when Sweet Potato gets the lock open on the closet door and they all go in there to play. You see, the closet backs right up to our bathroom/bedroom, so all noises are magnified greatly!

So, Steve (as I said, an amazing husband and father) went in this am, to quiet the raging beasts, to find one little Pineapple, standing on a Fisher Price firehouse outside the closet door, trying desperately to reach the flip lock, and thus lock his siblings in the closet! I am guessing that his next move would have been to move the firehouse over to the light switch and begin madly flipping the light on and off, while his siblings wail and pound on the door - but that's just me knowing my little cherub's odd sense of "what is funny". Steve came and told me what was going on, and I told him that I guessed that Pineapple had just seen his sister use the firehouse to unlock the door, and Steve said that "Yes, there was definitely information sharing going on!"

Which brings me to a confession (I have already asked for forgiveness for this, by the way). When I was about 12, I decided to "have a little fun" at my little sister's expense. We had a hook and eye lock on the outside of our bedroom door, to keep out a new little brother who liked to crawl into our room and destroy anything within reach. Again, not a super sturdy lock system, but enough to keep that little booger out (sorry Mike ;-)).

One day, my little sister was playing with a friend in our room and I thought it would be hysterically funny to lock the door and set off the fire alarm. So I did. And totally did not expect the reaction that I got! When the girls found that the door was locked, they did what any public school trained child would do - they headed for the window! Now, I must say that the window is only about five feet off the ground - but they were seven! So, quickly discerning that I would not be able to sit down for a month (at best) if my sister fell out of a bedroom window, I opened the door and turned off the alarm. And felt horrible about it for years, until I finally asked her to forgive me for being so mean. Which she did - because she is kind and gracious, despite living with me for 18 years!

All that to say - like mother, like son - it must be true!

Happy Sunday!

t

1 comment:

mareseatoats said...

I hope you aren't still feeling bad about scaring Lori and I like that. Ha, ha, ha! Just kidding. I am way over that. Hey, with an older sister and an older brother things could have been much worse for me than they were. My therapist told me that was the case!