Monday, September 16, 2013

Day 4 - Yogurt



OK, y'all....it's time to try something totally different! Time to try yogurt! I found some directions on line about doing raw yogurt (not heating the milk before hand). Since I was going for the biggest punch of live culture, that is what I decided to do.


I decided to start small, since yogurt can be tough to get right...two pint jars with raw milk.



I used my Greek yogurt for my starter culture...not the best option, but it should work.



I mixed two heaping teaspoons of Greek yogurt in each jar...I used a plastic spoon, because metal it usually not a friend in fermenting.



Then I loaded them up in Desi, temp set to 115 degrees. Did I mention I finally decided to call my dehydrator Desdemona...Desi for short? I used to have a cool old black Volvo wagon named Desi...great ride, that car!




24 hours later....it is looking kinda creepy... I gave it another 6 hours and pulled it out at 30 hours, and popped it in the fridge.



The next night, I stirred in some dried elderberries and honey into one jar, and into the other I put some of the dried cherries I made the first day. I mixed them in and set them back in the fridge for 24 hours....make that 48 hours! I forgot I had a day of church and chicken killing in the middle of all that yogurt making. Not necessarily in that order.

Tonight I served the yogurt on granola for dinner. It was very runny, but as an add-on to granola, it was good. The kids (and I) preferred the elderberry...the cherries just did not give much of their flavor.


Two thumbs up from our Chicken Wangler...he even asked for it for his birthday! That is high praise!!

I would like to play with this some more, and see if I can get it to thicken up at all...any ideas?

No comments: